Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Like a Real Pizzaiolo

I must indulge myself a little on this post. Recently, I have joined an amazing blog group, The Daring Bakers. Every month we are given a new challenge in baking - one recipe which we all follow. My introduction to the group was an introduction to an outstanding pizza dough recipe. We were allowed to use our creativity to think of unique toppings to finish the pizzas off. Of course I had to use Avery during the brainstorming process to come up with some good ideas. I had to show the Daring Bakers I meant business!



One of the stipulations was that we had to stretch out the dough using the traditional toss method, like a real pizzaiolo. I must say, it was easier than I thought - and there were no causualties!



My first creation was a taco pizza - salsa as my base, spiced ground beef and shredded Monterey jack cheese. It was all topped with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce just before serving. I'd like to say this was something I set out to do, but it was actually just a method for me to use leftovers from my fridge.



My second attempt was something a little more seasonal - a golden beet and goat cheese pizza drizzled with honey, thoroughly enjoyed by my husband (who is nuts about beets).

Lastly (and most adventurously) I made a macaroni & cheese pizza for Misty and myself for our weekly get together. It was amazing! How could it not be? Marconi and cheese on it's own is so indulgent - with delicious Canadian aged cheddar and goat cheese for that extra bit of tang. Well, just imagine a beautifully crisp and light crust underneath it all. Top it with a bit of mozzarella and I am telling you, it was perfection (if not a bit heartburn inducing!).



Get set to see more of my completed challenges on the blog on a monthly basis. I am so excited to see what the Daring Bakers have in store for us next.

In other news, Avery has been looking forward to his very first Hallowe'en. As such, he has been seen around town sporting a new Hallowe'en outfit each day (courtesy of his Auntie Leighlow and Grandma KK). Of course a mulititude of pictures have been taken and will all be posted after the big day - so check back this weekend to see him in all of his cuteness!

6 comments:

Lynn said...

I love beets, too. It never occurred to me to put them on pizza! What a great idea! Good job.

www.lynnsahotdish.com

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Welcome to the Daring bakers!
You did a grerat job, your pizza's look delicious!!!

Linda Judd said...

Welcome to the DBs! This is only my second month, so I'm also a new-comer, and having a blast with the recipes and the people.

Okay, now, I've NEVER heard of a mac and cheese pizza! But now I just have to try it. Yummm. It's almost lunch time here, and you have my stomach growling!

Tina said...

Thanks for the warm welcome Daring Bakers members!
I am glad I didn't disappoint with my pizza creations.

I just love seeing how creative everyone is... I am so glad I joined the group!

Eat4Fun said...

Congrats on completing your first DB Challenge! Looks like you have a cute little DB in-training!

Your pizzas look very nice and tossing!

Lisa said...

Beets are such a great idea, plus they add to the aesthetics! Great job on your first challenge!